[Vision2020] US Chamber’s Lobbyists Solicited Hackers To Sabotage Unions , Smear Chamber’s Political Opponents

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun Feb 13 21:55:22 PST 2011

On Sunday 13 February 2011 20:29:00 Dave wrote:
> You want to tell that to an Egyptian right now?

NO!! Certainly not. The Egyptians, however, are in the different situation of
nearly starting over in their national organization. Instead of using nukes,
they used tweets to remove the face and the skullcap of their body politic.
Now they have to invent some set of neurosurgical processes, some set of
constitutional convention, political reorganization, and legal restructuring
to rearchitect, to replumb, and to rewire the constitutional, statutory, and
political structures of their society. Then having done that, they have to
reface and to recap their national headship with a new set of people to embody
and effect the new structures and responsibilities of power.

Egyptians are in the exciting, but dangerous, position of having done the
easier part of revolution -- the creative destruction part. A large number of
140-character tweeters was sufficient for that part. Now they need more
organization of a smaller number of full-bore text processors operated by
their own new founding fathers and mothers in constitutional convention to
accomplish the heavy-duty writing for a new national legal structure.

Americans' situation differs from the Egyptians' situation in that we don't
need to scrap our entire government, but we do need to re-envision our system
of business and commerce vis-a-vis the our systems of national and state
governments, and the structures of economic democracy that should form the
interfaces between economic activities and civic affairs.

Is the phrase business ethics an oxymoron? On one hand we have Milton
Friedman, F. A. Hayek, and their ideological offspring who essentially say yes.
Let business do business, and the rest can take care of itself as it can, and
if it can't so be it. On the other hand we have F. D. Roosevelt, J. M. Keynes,
and five generations of people, most of whom appreciate that some degrees of
guidance, regulation, and control of otherwise laissez-faire activities could
achieve the dual goals of commercial profitability and social stabilization
that are beneficial both to business people and the remainder of civil society.

The last decade at least, and the last four decades for certain, have
demonstrated that our collective understanding and control of our economic
systems leaves a lot to be desired. Ever since Lyndon Johnson refused to raise
taxes to pay for the Viet Nam War, American economic activities have been
tempered by self-serving forces controlling the central levers of monetary and
fiscal power. This financial-governmental complex, every bit as powerful as
Eisenhower's military-industrial complex, has, like the latter, also been
outside of the reach of democratically-selected representatives of the
sovereign power of the American electorate.

Americans now need to accomplish the dual goals of re-envisioning a better and
more democratically responsive system of economic governance, and find a set of
political routes and activities to implement the results of this new economic
architecture without disrupting either the economic activities that power the
system or the economic benefits that motivate the operation of the system. This
is an especially challenging task because both parts of the foundation and
parts of the superstructure need to be remodeled simultaneously. But it can be
done. Whether we have the collective will to get the job done amid incessant
on-going discussions of the efficacy of any set of decisions upon which to
proceed is a matter yet to be observed.

Ken