[Vision2020] American Institute of Physics: Physics of Radiative CO2 Forcing: Was: University of Idaho Argonaut, 1-25-11: Bret Zender: "Climate change is not to be ignored"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 20:02:15 PST 2011

Ted Moffett wrote:
> It is interesting to compare your list of reasons to undermine the
> credibility of climate science, with the tactics employed by some
> critics to undermine the credibility of evolution science, as
> described at the bottom of this post, from the article "Forbes Rich
> List of Nonsense."  Your argument against the credibility of climate
> science is similar to the tactics of some creationists against
> evolution science.

My "list to undermine the credibility of climate science" was intended
as a list of reasons why we shouldn't assume it's as valid as gravity or
even evolution.

> The physicists at the American Institute of Physics likely have a
> better understanding of the modern physics of gravity than you or I.
> And their analysis of climate science, fundamentally dependent on
> physics, reveals an exhaustively studied scientific basis, both
> theoretically and empirically, for the radiative forcing of human CO2
> emissions being a significant driver of the current warming Earth
> climate.
>
> Read American Institute of Physics analysis of the physics of the
> radiative forcing of CO2 at website below:
>
> The Discovery of Global Warming                      January 2011
> Basic Radiation Calculations
>
> http://www.aip.org/history/climate/Radmath.htm
> -------------------------
> It is credible and well researched science on the issue of
> anthropogenic climate warming, such as is presented by the American
> Institute of Physics, and numerous other scientific organizations in
> many nations around the world, that supports the scientific consensus
> that human impacts on climate are significant and increasing in
> magnitude, as we continue CO2 emissions at a high rate, driving up
> atmospheric CO2 levels.

That was in interesting and informative article.  They are making
progress, although the article stopped the timeline in the 1980's
because it started to get too complex for invertebrates like myself and
they didn't want to harm me with too large a blast of raw knowledge.  At
the end of the article, they were apparently going to make the switch
from studying simple models to combining them into the famous GCMs.
They didn't go into very much detail on exactly what measure they were
using to determine if they were getting any closer to the answer.
That's what it all comes down to.  What predictions do their models
allow them to make, and how close do they come to observational data?
They were still getting serious about the GCMs in the 1980s, and that
was just three decades ago.   When climate needs by consensus at least
30 years of averaged data to indicate a trend, they are still just
getting started.

I'm still just arguing here, by the way, that climate science is a young
science that shouldn't be taken as on par with basic physics like the
law of gravity.  We still don't really know what the climate will do
over the next few decades.  They have some guesses, and you can consider
GCMs as basic hypotheses, but there hasn't been the time to see how they
come out let alone refine them and test again.  Please don't take this
as trying to "undermine climate science", they are doing great work and
I'm interested in seeing how well their models prove out in the end.

> Your position, whether just for debate or offered in all sincerity, is
> advocating taking extreme risk based on a low probability of
> scientific error.  Consider the statement on the risks of global
> warming by Nobel Laurate economist Paul Krugman in an interview by
> Zakaria on CNN, with Krugman and Lomborg, Dec. 13, 2009:

We can't base our entire civilization's future, economic or otherwise,
on something that might happen.  What about other theories with just as
dire consequences if they prove out?  Frankly, thought of an impending
ice age scares me more than global warming does.  Cold is bad.  How many
years without a true summer would it take to break our civilization apart?

For example, have you heard about the HAB theory?  It was a novel
written by Allan Eckert based on his real research into the subject of
cataclysmic pole shifts.  The basic theory is that, for some reason, the
earth's crust suddenly spins on top of the mantle, leading to the North
and South poles being located in different geographical locations.  The
mantle and core of the earth keep spinning as they were, but since the
crust moves the points where the axis of spin intersect the earth
change.  This leads to horrible floods, earthquakes, volcanoes letting
loose, and so forth.  Basically, we all die in the span of a few days.
There are lots of interesting reasons why he believes this, and the book
is a fascinating read.  One of the suggested mechanisms that may cause
these cataclysmic polar shifts, though, is the buildup of ice at the
poles.  If it's too irregular, the crust wobbles like an off-balance
washing machine until it slips along the mantle and voila! the North
Pole is now near Chicago.  So, given the cataclysmic nature of this
event, shouldn't we try to be warming the earth up so that the ice at
Antarctica (which has been steadily increasing for years) will melt and
thus avert a polar shift that would kill almost everyone on earth?

As for doing something about global warming, why don't we concentrate
for now on readying ourselves for the disasters that the theory supposes
will occur?  Since that's every possible natural disaster I can think of
(floods, drought, huge storms, etc) and since I also think that general
preparedness is a good thing, I could go along with that idea.  It's
certainly better than letting the richest among us make even more money
in some kind of carbon trading scheme that resembles default credit
swaps and other financial systems that have been plaguing us lately.

Preparing better for emergencies is simply a good idea.  That way, we
won't have another Katrina, and fewer lives will be lost when natural
disasters happen.  It will also buy us some time for the climate models
to be tested in a truly scientific way and, if needed, refined based on
how well they predict climate over the next few decades.

Paul