[Vision2020] American Institute of Physics: Physics of Radiative CO2 Forcing: Was: University of Idaho Argonaut, 1-25-11: Bret Zender: "Climate change is not to be ignored"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 10:57:16 PST 2011

It is interesting to compare your list of reasons to undermine the
credibility of climate science, with the tactics employed by some
critics to undermine the credibility of evolution science, as
described at the bottom of this post, from the article "Forbes Rich
List of Nonsense."  Your argument against the credibility of climate
science is similar to the tactics of some creationists against
evolution science.

The physicists at the American Institute of Physics likely have a
better understanding of the modern physics of gravity than you or I.
And their analysis of climate science, fundamentally dependent on
physics, reveals an exhaustively studied scientific basis, both
theoretically and empirically, for the radiative forcing of human CO2
emissions being a significant driver of the current warming Earth
climate.

Read American Institute of Physics analysis of the physics of the
radiative forcing of CO2 at website below:

The Discovery of Global Warming                      January 2011
Basic Radiation Calculations

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/Radmath.htm
-------------------------
It is credible and well researched science on the issue of
anthropogenic climate warming, such as is presented by the American
Institute of Physics, and numerous other scientific organizations in
many nations around the world, that supports the scientific consensus
that human impacts on climate are significant and increasing in
magnitude, as we continue CO2 emissions at a high rate, driving up
atmospheric CO2 levels.

Your position, whether just for debate or offered in all sincerity, is
advocating taking extreme risk based on a low probability of
scientific error.  Consider the statement on the risks of global
warming by Nobel Laurate economist Paul Krugman in an interview by
Zakaria on CNN, with Krugman and Lomborg, Dec. 13, 2009:

Transcript in full at website below:

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0912/13/fzgps.01.html

"You have to guard against the substantial possibility of really
catastrophic change."
-----------------------------
Forbes’ rich list of nonsense

Filed under: Climate Science Reporting on climate— group @ 6 January 2011
Guest commentary from Michael Tobis and Scott Mandia with input from
Gavin Schmidt, Michael Mann, and Kevin Trenberth

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/01/forbes-rich-list-of-nonsense/#more-5984

Quote below from website article above:

"Bell uses the key technique that denialists use in debates, dubbed by
Eugenie Scott the “Gish gallop”, named after a master of the style,
anti-evolutionist Duane Gish. The Gish gallop raises a barrage of
obscure and marginal facts and fabrications that appear at first
glance to cast doubt on the entire edifice under attack, but which on
closer examination do no such thing. In real-time debates the number
of particularities raised is sure to catch the opponent off guard;
this is why challenges to such debates are often raised by enemies of
science. Little or no knowledge of a holistic view of any given
science is needed to construct such scattershot attacks."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett