[Vision2020] Government waste

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 07:19:10 PST 2011

Dick,

I don't think it is what the government is spending the money on that is considered the waste. Most people don't object to using government money to buy a wheelchair for a person who really needs one. What they object to is having to buy a wheelchair for $989 that only cost $105 in parts, labor, and delivery. Or having to spend $312 on a medication that only costs 25 cents to manufacture.

Many times taxpayers are paying for services and equipment that isn't even provided or used. $5 for a band-aid that was never applied, and $50 for vital readings that were never taken can really add up fast. A two mile ambulance ride can set us back $1800, easily.

That is the type of crap most people consider waste and fraud. If me and you can run down to the store and buy something for $1, the government ought to be able to purchase that same item for far less than we can, not have to purchase it for 10 times its market value or production cost.

Over 50% of  federal government's expendatures is on medical related services. A good portion of the rest is on defense contracting which is just as fradulant.

Donovan Arnold