[Vision2020] 2011 Military Post of the Year

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:01:26 PST 2011

"What's the piont Mr. Hansen? That affection can't be displayed?
Picture of the year for me is sitting next to the two crying children
of their dad who just got blown in half by an RPG. What do I know
though."

But I don't think that Tom Hansen's point had anything to do with NOT
displaying affection. And I want to use your example in your response
to make a broader point.

I know several persons who think that "first person shooter games" --
games in which players shoot other persons -- are immoral. Clearly you
disagree. Suppose someone not only tried to make such games illegal
but actually succeeded in making them illegal. What would your view
about said persons be?

Now you might think that you've got popular opinion on your side but
that is not obvious. And even if you do, it is beside the point.

The point is, Should your rights be held sway to popular opinion? Or
should what games you play or who you marry be up to you?

I don't give a rip that you are disgusted by the gay life-style
anymore than you give a rip that I'm disgusted by playing games in
which kids kill their fathers. And I'm as gay as you are.

Tom's celebration was about the military finally catching on to the
views of our founding fathers: state rights over individual rights go
only so far and people are best to keep their morals to themselves.

Be disgusted. I have no problem with that. Just have the decency to
not use the law to influence your own personal opinions.