[Vision2020] Task force tweaks education reform

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Dec 15 10:41:01 PST 2011

We live in an age of great and accelerating change.  The availability of computer and media is changing and will continue to change the way we do many things including education.

In order to take advantage of what life now offers in this country including education, not just computer literacy, but adept computer skills are necessary.

Many of us participate in and believe that life long learning is an important pubic policy.

I think that in principle requiring high school students to take two online courses which places the responsibility on the student themselves is generally good public policy.  Given the current trends, such experience opens the door more widely for life long education.

However, I several concerns, here are two:

1.    Not all online courses are of the same quality.  Some are garbage, fully of inaccurate information and very poorly designed despite the hype that comes from their producers/agents/political friends.  Where there is a profit motive, there will be a real chance that hyped up, marginal courses will be foisted on many students by either corrupt and/or ignorant public officials.  A little Goggling will show the problems that have already occurred in this area, and have plagued this area since the 1970s when online instruction via timesharing became available.

2.    There are a lot of elements that contribute to a quality, or even a mediocre education.  Individual help, encouragement, monitoring, care, and concern that comes from good teachers are perhaps the most important of these.  It is doubtful that any online program can ever produce the effects of individual attention and motivation that teachers provide.  Teachers also are able to recognize other problems such as child abuse, malnutrition, mental health problems, etc that at this time computer programs are unable to.  There is a real danger, given the conservative swing in politics, that ignorant/arrogant/corrupt public officials will sharply reduce the number and the quality of teachers available in order to save a few bucks and to steer business to cronies or experts at hype.  The long range consequences of this, in my opinion, would be disastrous.

w.