[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 9.10] Fight Against Pre-Harvest Pathogens in Beef Highlighted

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Dec 6 10:31:41 PST 2011

-----Original message-----

From: Food Quality eUpdate foodquality at wiley.com
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 07:52:16 -0800
To: L FALEN lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: [Spam 9.10] Fight Against Pre-Harvest Pathogens in Beef Highlighted

If you have trouble reading this email, try the online
version ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/view.asp?m=tnekp7wdoanjzun0e0ye&u=6609938&f=t )

Food Quality eUpdate - original news on the latest in food
manufacturing and food science

HDR_Info_r01c01
1x1_spacer

www.foodquality.com (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277717
)
December 6, 2011

1x1_spacer
HDR_Info_r01c03

HDR_Info_r02c01

HDR_Info_r01c01
1x1_spacer

READ FQ ONLINE ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277717
)

Have a story idea? Email the editor: geogiordan at wiley.com
( mailto:geogiordan at wiley.com )

----------------
UPCOMING EVENTS:
----------------

1.09.12 - FSSC 22000 - Understanding and Implementing
Course ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277724
)

1.24.12 - Understanding the Requirements for the BRC
Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 6 (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277733
)

2.16.11 - Developing a HACCP Plan (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277734
)

1x1_spacer

eUpdate Exclusive

Fight Against Pre-Harvest Pathogens in Beef Highlighted (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277736
)

Consensus at special meeting is vaccine technology exists
but broad adoption is needed

"Imperfect" but potentially effective technologies to
control foodborne pathogens in beef pre-harvest are now available
to government and industry, according to experts at a Nov. 9
meeting on pre-harvest pathogen control convened by the FSIS, the
Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service, and the Agricultural
Research Service. But can they be usefully implemented?

A number of vaccine technologies have demonstrated a significant
impact in reducing levels of E. coli 0157 and Salmonella bacteria
detected in bovine feces pre-harvest, said Guy Loneragan, PhD,
professor of food safety and public health at Texas Tech
University in Lubbock, who presented the opening address at the
meeting. For example, Epitopix/Pfizer Animal Health's SRP vaccine
has shown a 40% to 60% reduction in Salmonella levels in feces in
various commercial studies--and even more in so-called "high
shedders".

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277736
)

Reliably extract and concentrate samples from complex
matrices ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277737
)

Agilent offers a complete line of sample preparation
products for any type of analysis using GC, LC, GC/MS & LC/MS.
Trusted Bond Elut SPE products selectively remove interferences
from complex matrices and provide the broadest range of sorbents
in the widest range of formats. Additionally, our prepackaged
QuEChERS Kits simplify sample preparation. See what Agilent's
sample preparation products can do for you. See what Agilent's
sample preparation products can do for you (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277737
).

eUpdate Exclusive

Genome Testing Pinpoints Pathogens (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277738
)

New method is more accurate than standard PFGE testing

A new genomic test from Cornell University scientists
can accurately detect the pathogenic culprit in outbreaks of
foodborne illness and rapidly differentiate between
outbreak-related and non-outbreak-related cases.

A team led by Cornell food science professor Martin Wiedmann,
DVM, PhD, sequenced the genome of 47 samples of Salmonella--20
that had been collected from human sources during the Salmonella
Montevideo outbreak linked to salami made with contaminated
pepper in 2009 and 2010, and 27 control samples collected before
the outbreak. The genome-sequencing approach quickly isolated
four samples thought to be connected to the contaminated pepper.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277738
)

Solve Your Most Complex Analytical Challenges with
the ACQUITY UPLC I-Class (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277739
)

Successfully analyze compounds that are limited in
amount or availability amid a complex matrix, more rapidly than
ever before.

The ACQUITY UPLC I-Class system:

Maximizes peak capacity to enhance MS sensitivity

Provides the lowest carryover, complementing MS sensitivity and
extending MS linear dynamic range

Has been purposefully engineered for the lowest dispersion; with
an extended pressure/flow envelope, complex separations can be
accelerated without compromising chromatographic fidelity.
waters.com/iclass.

>From the October/November 2011 issue of Food Quality
magazine

Eye on China ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277740
)

Despite some promising signals, government and regulators
struggle to ensure quality of that nation's exported food

Glow-in-the-dark pork. Exploding watermelons. These
recent oddities from China might seem comical were it not for the
country's abysmal food safety record, which includes deaths and
illnesses caused by melamine-laced baby formula,
Salmonella-tainted seafood, and clenbuterol-treated pork. China's
sprawling system of food production is largely unregulated,
operating in a Wild West environment in which the drive for
productivity and profit outweighs adherence to even the most
basic safety and sanitary measures, according to Western experts
and senior Chinese officials.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277740
)

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT

Bio-Rad's iQ-Check STEC Solution (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277728
)

Are you ready for the USDA's new 2012 STEC
regulations?

Bio-Rad has real-time PCR test kits to help. Our STEC solution
is made up of two kits, one to detect virulence genes stx1/stx 2
and eae and a second to differentiate the "Big 6" O serogroups,
including E. coli O157:H7.

Only one test well required for initial toxin gene screen

Detect Big 6 STEC and E. coli O157:H7 in the same assay

High sensitivity and specificity for decreased false positive
results

Open system for future development

Expert lab evaluations in progress

For more information, please email us at FoodScience at bio-rad.com.

>From the October/November 2011 issue of Food Quality
magazine

A Recipe for Hand Hygiene Process Control (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277741
)

How to structure a hand washing program that sustains
safe food handling for the long haul

Process control drives almost all food safety measures,
with the exception of hand washing and hand hygiene. These remain
a frontier without meaningful, measureable, and manageable
standards. Operators are often content for hand hygiene to be
covered in their FDA-promulgated good manufacturing practices,
seeing little need for specific standards to drive enhanced hand
hygiene. The FDA's Model Food Code has been unable to provide
guidance for a situation in which behavioral science is key to
compliance. Codes and operational standards work best for
physical measurements like temperature control or chemical
factors such as pH. Logs can be easily maintained and monitored.
Solving hand washing issues in the food industry is not about
knowledge, training, products, or equipment. It is all about
linking best practices in a structured, sustainable solution.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277741
)

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT

Are you in compliance with the new food safety laws?
( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277742
)

Consumer confidence had been shaken the world over,
following a series of high-profile food safety incidents. This
along with the increasing regulatory and retailer requirements
has created a need for producers to re-evaluate their food safety
procedures and have a strong, HACCP-based plan in place to
prevent food contamination issues. View a FREE on-demand webinar
to learn more about some of the HACCP recognized food safety
programs and how food processors can achieve compliance.

>From the October/November 2011 issue of Food Quality
magazine

Chlorine Clean ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277743
)

Gaseous decontamination using chlorine dioxide can scrub
facilities of pathogens better than vaporized hydrogen peroxide

Knowing the effect a food recall could have, many
facilities have been increasing their sampling tactics to better
detect contamination occurrences. Once contamination is detected,
however, actions must be taken and might include a product
recall. Because of the potentially catastrophic consequences,
many facilities are improving their contamination prevention
activities. More washdowns and surface cleanings can help, but
only a gaseous decontamination can really get into all the tight
locations in a facility such as an egg-processing plant,
meat-packing plant, or produce-handling facility, allowing for a
complete kill of any contaminating pathogens.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277743
)

1x1_spacer
HDR_Info_r01c03

FTR_FQUeNEWS_Complete

Food Quality is published by John Wiley
& Sons. 111 River Street, Hoboken, NJ 07030

Copyright 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., a Wiley
Company. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be
reproduced in any form or by any means, except as permitted under
Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act,
without either the prior written permission of the publisher, or
authorization through the Copyright Clearance Center, 222
Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923: (978) 750-8400: fax (978)
750-4470.

All materials published, including but not limited
to original research, clinical notes, editorials, reviews,
reports, letters, and book reviews represent the opinions and
views of the authors and do not reflect any official policy or
medical opinion of the institutions with which the authors are
affiliated or of the publisher unless this is clearly specified.
Materials published herein are intended to further general
scientific research, understanding, and discussion only and are
not intended and should not be relied upon as recommending or
promoting a specific method, diagnosis or treatment by physicians
for any particular patient.

While the editors and publisher believe that the
specifications and usage of equipment and devices as set forth
herein are in accord with current recommendations and practice at
the time of publication, they accept no legal responsibility for
any errors or omissions, and make no warranty, express or
implied, with respect to material contained herein. Publication
of an advertisement or other discussions of products in this
publication should not be construed as an endorsement of the
products or the manufacturers' claims. Readers are encouraged to
contact the manufacturers with any questions about the features
or limitations of the products mentioned.

This email was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com If you would prefer not to
receive the Food Quality eUPDATE, please Click here (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277720
) to remove yourself from our eUPDATE distribution list. You may
be subscribed to more than one Food Quality list (FQ eTOC, FQ
Events, etc). If you would like to be removed from ALL Food
Quality lists, please click here (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=50590&u=1277721
).