[Vision2020] Worse than I anything I could imagine

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 18:04:44 PDT 2011

I was underwhelmed by the amount of pornographic detail in the video on
the web page linked below, frankly.  I was expecting something far
worse.  The part in question, some details of a tryst he saw in his
visions between a member of a past audience and a tall blond man, didn't
seem over the top to me.  Maybe I'm just jaded, or have hung out too
much on 4chan in the past.  It looked to me like the detail was added in
an attempt to prove the truth of his visions to himself.  He described
the encounter in a way that gave enough detail that the lady in the
audience would know he saw what he saw and would have enough reason to
object if it wasn't accurate.  This is an attempt to verify the accuracy
of his visions, without being too graphic.  He describes the encounter
in a way that gave detail without dwelling on the actual act.  He even
tries to bring in detail about the hotel room ("a certain-colored
bedspread") without naming the actual color in order to keep the exact
hotel chain a mystery.

The problem is that he isn't taking into account the situation and his
own status.  He is in danger of deluding himself into thinking that
possibly untrue visions are true.  If the woman had had an affair with
her husband's short dark-haired best friend, she's unlikely to correct
him on this for fear that her husband will put two and two together and
figure out who she really slept with.  There's also the problem with a
person on stage who is in front of the faithful who is claiming to know
specific things about members of their flock and who is in a position to
claim to be speaking for God.  If the woman hadn't had an affair, she
may not contradict him in front of a live audience for fear of coming
across as being an unbeliever in the church.

As someone who has upon occasion seen things that I classify as
supernatural, I'm familiar with the need to verify things.  The problem
is that few people take those steps and can slip down the rabbit hole
through a positive feedback self-deception loop.  I applaud him for
attempting to verify things, if that is indeed what he is doing.  I'd
suggest he take it further, though.  If it were me, I'd want to be damn
sure, three times over, before I started claiming that people have
abused others or been unfaithful to their spouses.  He may just be a
good reader of people.  He may have noticed the lady's reaction on a
subliminal level when he brought up the subject.  This may have clued
him in to the fact that she was guilty about having an affair, and his
mind might have supplied what detail it could with no relation to
reality, similar to how a dream imparts information - a way for his
subconscious to give him the info with little regard for exact detail.
Your subconscious communicates with you via symbols, putting too much
stock in details is foolish, unless you've done the groundwork to
actually verify them.

In my mind, the real danger is that he claims to be speaking for Jesus.
He looks to me like he believes that, and from there it's just a few
small steps to a whole host of *really bad things*, if he's not
careful.  He needs to take a step back and make sure he knows what he's
doing.  He can do real harm here simply by not being distrusting
enough.  It's a very seductive position he's in.  He is convinced
(rightly or wrongly) that he's seeing truthful visions of others.  This
gives him a power that most people would be hard-pressed not to use.
People, for various reasons, don't want to contradict him and this feeds
his desire to be a man seeing visions from God.  He's a potential
time-bomb waiting to explode.  Right now, he may be accusing people of
having affairs or attacking their wives when it's not true.  Tomorrow,
who knows?  There are reasons events like Heaven's Gate happen.

I don't really have an opinion on the religious aspects of this, i.e.,
how biblically correct his being able to have visions is.

Paul