[Vision2020] A Truly Horrifying Plan

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 16 10:05:08 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (August 16, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a vote of appreciation to David Morse.

------------------------------
Truly horrifying plan

My wife and I are residents of Latah County and we live on North Polk Extension in Moscow. The redistricting plan put forth by the GOP members of the commission would attach our household to District 5 and Kootenai County by dividing the city of Moscow at Morton Street. This is truly horrifying for us. We have all our community connections to the city of Moscow. Our water rights to the Wanapum Aquifer deal with the local area. The rest of District 5 has no reason whatsoever to fight for our water rights.

Directly north of us, Moscow Mountain Ridge divides us from the other communities this ill-conceived plan wishes to attach us to. When we have community events, they are Moscow events. There is not a single community tie between my family and Idaho residents to the north that does not involve the city of Moscow. In contrast, we have not visited Kootenai County in over a year.

Dividing our city at Morton Street is contemptible. I have heard claims of unintentional results. However, now that you have been made aware of the community this would divide, any attempt to pursue this version of the plan would be the worst form of gerrymandering. We would challenge this plan in court as a violation of the Idaho Constitution Article 3, section 5. Idaho Statute 72, Sec.1506 was not meant to allow you to divide communities to pursue a political agenda.

David Morse, Moscow

Exactly!

Note to Idaho GOP:  Don't wait for the movie.  Read the book, ok?

Idaho Code
Title 72, Section 1506
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title72/T72CH15SECT72-1506.htm

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown