[Vision2020] Where did those 42 years go?

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Mon Aug 15 16:43:19 PDT 2011

On much more locally related history, do any other old-timers here besides me remember or attend the "Universal Life Church Picnic" at Farragut State Park in the summer of 1971, thus this summer marking the 40th anniversary of that event?  It was advertised discretely in various "underground" newspapers on the west coast, thereby subversively bypassing the authorities who were apparently indeed expecting a "church picnic", instead putting on what was in reality a "Mini-Woodstock", 3 days, 24 hours a day, of music and, shall we say, some, or maybe a little more than some, Woodstock type of behavior.  (Ahem)  It was actually orchestrated by a group of people here in Moscow, and the estimated turnout at the peak was as high (so to speak) as 40,000 people, about 4 of them being me and some friends.  We, of course, drank ice water (well, maybe a few beers) and were shocked, absolutely shocked, I tell you, at the behavior.  The powers that be were less than pleased about the whole thing.