[Vision2020] Impasses lead to shutdown of FAA

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 2 20:12:16 PDT 2011

There are very, VERY few global locations where I believe our presence is
justified, but . . .

Having served in South Korea (February '76 - March '77) during the
tree-trimming incident of August '76, and having participated in various
exercises subsequent to, and as a result of, that incident, I can say
without hesitation or reservation that our military presence prevented
North Korean troops from crossing into South Korea.  If South Korea were
to fall, Japan is a mere stone's throw from the missile sites of the Cheju
Islands.

More on the tree-trimming incident of August 1976.

On Tue, August 2, 2011 7:21 pm, mushroom at moscow.com wrote:
>> If we were to shut down all our military bases around the world, how
>> soon
>> do you think it would be, Sunil, before South Korea would be at war with
>> their neighbors to the north?
>>
>> The presence of 30,000 US troops in South Korea acts as a deterrent.
>>
>> Seeya round town, Moscow.
>>
>> Tom Hansen
>
> I like most of Tom's posts, but this makes me sad. Because it suggests our
> country could drift toward posting troops in half the countries of the
> world to "deter" possible actions of the other half. We presently are
> close to that. People (including children) are starving to death and we
> are spending as much or more on defense than the entire rest of the world
> combined.
>
> This is SO WRONG!
>
> Don Coombs

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,