[Vision2020] 2007 Military Report: "National Security and the Threat of Climate Change" Was: "Military Rethinks..."

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:30:38 PDT 2011

The US military years ago examined the issue of global warming, and is
taking it seriously, with military think tank analysis to prepare for
climate change.

It is irresponsible that the US Fourth Estate has given limited
coverage of this fact!

Consider the military advisory board referenced in subject heading,
issuing the 2007 report "National Security and the Threat of Climate
Change:"
http://securityandclimate.cna.org/report/

"Global climate change presents a serious national security threat
which could impact Americans at home, impact US military operations,
and heighten global tensions, according to a new study released by a
blue-ribbon panel of retired admirals and generals from the Army,
Navy, Air Force, and Marines."
----------------
Entire report here:
http://securityandclimate.cna.org/report/National%20Security%20and%20the%20Threat%20of%20Climate%20Change.pdf
----------------
Also, from 2004, the following article from "The Guardian" discusses a
"secret" Pentagon report indicating climate change a major national
security risk:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver
----------------
Gwynne Dyer's 2008 book "Climate Wars" is based in part on military
think tank analysis of the potential for global warming to cause
warfare, discussed here:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2009-May/063777.html
---------------
It is rather amazing and alarming to witness the confirmation bias
filters regarding climate change prevalent among many in business,
politics and the public..  Some simply refuse to accept the scientific
evidence of human impacts on climate, if it does not suit their
ecomomic, political or religious agenda.

Of course some in positions of power might admit climate change is a
serious problem, but regardless cynically pursue their short term
interests.  Even among many who consider themselves progressive or
environmental in their views, there is a prevalent "greenwash"
mentality to engage in wishful thinking that partial steps to address
climate change are substantially lowering the risks, when CO2
emissions remain at levels that are continuing to increase the risks.
This August 2010 feel good puff piece from the U of I Argonaut
regarding Moscow's greenhouse gas reduction efforts is an example, an
article that makes no mention of the substantial science indicating
that a 20 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions below a 2005
baseline is not even close to the levels of reductions required to
substantially reduce the risk of radical climate change: "We have a
measurable baseline and a very rational approach to save money in
addition to reduce our effect on the global climate,” said Mayor Nancy
Chaney.  The article and my response is here:
http://hercules.argonaut.uidaho.edu/content/view/10557/48/
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett