[Vision2020] Proof Positive the ID GOP Doesn't Care About ChildrenOnce They're Out of The Womb

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 15:47:57 PDT 2011

On 04/02/2011 12:51 PM, Joe Campbell wrote:
> Short answer: Ask a black person this question. See what he says. Then
> tell him why you think he has a fear of ideas. See how far that
> dialogue progresses.
>
> Before I answer this question seriously, I'd prefer if you would tell
> me the most painful part of your family history. Suppose for instance
> that numerous folks in your family died of breast cancer. Try wrapping
> your head around me saying "Why can't we even _talk_ about whether or
> not breast cancer is a good thing? After all freedom of expression is
> a good thing. What do you have a fear of ideas?" Can you imagine how
> insensitive that would sound? If not, then pick another example. Keep
> trying until you want to punch me in the face for saying what I said.
> Then you'll get it.

The two most painful periods in my life were undoubtedly when my mother
died of diabetes and when my father died of leukemia, along with some
painful times dealing with some aspects of my mom's condition as a
family while growing up.  I consider myself lucky that those really were
the worst experiences in my life.  I've had it easy in this life by many
measures.  So let's say that someone came up with the idea that we
should not try to cure people with cancer or life-long diseases like
diabetes.  Their line of argument would probably include references to
how we're thwarting evolution and that we are simply encouraging the
destruction of our DNA as a species over time.  Let's say that there is
another group of people that thinks that all people with diseases like
that are touched by the devil and should be immediately killed.  Let's
also say that the choice of whether or not to let these people speak
openly about this for some reason fell on my shoulders.  Would I choose
to keep them quiet for fear of others coming to a similar conclusion and
jumping on the bandwagon, or would I choose to let them have their voice?

I would choose to let them speak.  There is a practical reason for this,
first, because if you try to shut them up they will just speak their
ideas behind closed doors and people who disagree with them will not be
there to counter their arguments.  The main reason, though, is that I
truly believe in freedom of expression, even if the topic of
conversation is painful for me.  I can still choose whether or not to
join in or to let them speak uncontested.

> I'm a Professor of Philosophy. That would be a strange profession for
> someone with a fear of ideas. A better explanation of why you can't
> see what's wrong with asking whether or not slavery is wrong is that
> you are seriously lacking in empathetic imagination. That's why I
> think it might benefit you to find your own personal example and
> reason to my point of view via some form of analogy.
>
> Long answer: Kidnapping is clearly wrong. Putting someone in chains,
> throwing them on a boat, and taking them to some other continent is
> clearly wrong. Holding someone against their will is clearly wrong.
> Forcing someone to work without pay is clearly wrong. Beating an
> innocent person is clearly wrong. Rape is clearly wrong.
>
> The history of American slavery is a history of kidnapping,
> unwarranted incarceration, forced labor, physical violence, rape, etc.
> To entertain the idea that slavery is not wrong is to entertain the
> idea that nothing is wrong.

I don't disagree with you.

> Now maybe that is your view. Maybe you believe that nothing is right
> or wrong. But why not just talk about that issue? Why wrap it up in a
> conversation that is offensive to a great number of people. If you're
> an idiot I would understand. Likewise if you were part of some radical
> right wing group. You offer another possibility: you could be
> completely lacking in empathy, a sociopath who doesn't care whether or
> not he hurts the feelings of others. I think that is covered by "idiot."

Just to be clear about something, we are not talking about my views on
slavery.  I have not expressed them in this argument.  I do believe in
right and wrong, even if I don't think such things are strictly black
and white.

> So here is a revision of my technical term "idiot" in case I use it
> again. An idiot is someone who is so lacking in common sense or
> empathetic imagination that he is willing to say something that even
> the below average person would know better than to say.
>
> Note that the quote I used by Wilson to begin this conversation was
> this: "The Bible permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are
> treated well." Clearly he can't adopt the view that there is no right
> or wrong since slavery is only permitted by Christians if they treat
> the slaves "well." And I don't think he's an idiot, given the my
> technical definition. That leaves one option. Unless I'm wrong and he
> is a sociopath.

Donovan stated that he supported freedom of speech and free dialog.  I
back him up on that.  You stated that people who tolerated talk of
slavery were either idiots or right wing nutjobs (paraphrasing).  I
disagree with that.  Donovan's point about free dialog is a good one.
If Doug wants to come on this list and argue his case re: slavery, I
encourage him to do that.  Because otherwise, how are you, or Donovan,
or anyone else going to explain why he's wrong if we never have the
conversation?  That's all I'm asking.  It doesn't even matter what the
subject is, really.

Paul