[Vision2020] Her View: Land swap would benefit all parties

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Tue Sep 7 19:33:27 PDT 2010

And speaking of the' "best" science of the time, president Lincoln's
time', it would probably be a great time for the US Government to look
back on how the various checkerboards of land was given to the various
railroads  and more importantly, WHY.

In a nutshell, the railroads were give land by the federal government
to build the railroads creating the 'checkerboards" we live with
today. "An Act to aid in the construction of a railroad and telegraph
line from the Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean, and to secure to
the Government the use of the same for postal, military, and other
purposes" (as amended) was the document that created the issue. So, in
exchange for the land, the people of the United States got a railroad.
OK,
now where is that railroad today that in current dollars, millions of
dollars worth (if not billions) of federal land was give IN EXCHANGE
for a viable railroad? For anyone that has tried to travel in the US
via railroad, it is no surprise that while it can be done, it in no
way meets the expectations for which the land was given up in the
first place!

At some point in time, now that the railroads that do exist, exist in
such a diminished capacity, the federal government needs to look at
getting either decent, comprehensive railroad SERVICE for the
successors to the
Union Pacific/Southern Pacific Railroads, or if they have defaulted
under the original contractual arrangements, get the land back!