[Vision2020] Facing the Public (was Crabtree and the NRA)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 31 13:45:46 PDT 2010

I hope that Bouma, Young, and others who aspire to legislative office would frame Shirley's words, study them, and remember them well -- this is a primer on how to govern, how to respond to constituents, and how to conduct oneself in politics with integrity, grace, and intelligence.

Shirley has my vote, but even if I had disagreements with her views that prevented me from supporting her, I nonetheless would be impressed by her commitment to public service, and she would have my gratitude and admiration for rising above the cesspool and cowardice that often defines politics.   Having served on the Moscow School District Board of Trustees from 2003-2006, which is an elected position (even if my candidacy was uncontested), I made being available and accountable, to my constituents my first priority.  Some of you might remember the bond campaign several years ago, when I spent hours on Vision 2020 and elsewhere answering questions -- some reasonable, some simply abusive -- and trying to state my and the District's case for supporting the bond.  I was deeply saddened that the bond measure failed, but what was equally disturbing to me was the near-complete public silence in support of the bond from the other trustees, who voted to forward the bond but seemed content to stay out of, or run away from, any public debate or active campaign beyond the well-orchestrated "information sessions" attended by the same dozen folks.  I believe that the biggest problem facing the District is that its Board of Trustees fails to embrace what I see as its imperative to be an activist, publicly-engaged voice for Moscow's schoolchildren.  Obviously, I was the odd one out, and that figured in my decision not to run for re-election.

My point here is not to claim any personal heroism, re-visit the issue of a new high school, or even acknowledge any mistakes I made -- I'm sure there were many, and what I did shouldn't be considered at all remarkable.  But I bring this up because I feel so strongly about the absolute imperative that elected officials and candidates for office have to face the public, no matter how "biased" the forum, how dicey live radio can be (I know this from my 2007 KRFP debate with Doug Wilson!), or how penetrating the questions.  Anyone lacking the guts, backbone, and brainpower to face their constituents, whether they're lions or lambs, isn't fit to serve.  Period.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com