[Vision2020] MPD Press Release

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Fri Oct 29 08:26:23 PDT 2010

MOSCOW POLICE DEPARTMENT
118 East 4th Street
Moscow, Idaho 83843
Tel: 208-882-COPS    Fax: 208-882-4020

PRESS RELEASE

The Moscow Police Department will participate in an upcoming "Aggressive Driving Mobilization".  MPD, in conjunction with agencies statewide, will focus efforts on education and awareness as they pertain to aggressive driving.

Idaho Transportation Department statistics show aggressive driving is "the highest single contributing factor in both injury and fatal crashes."

The behaviors that define aggressive driving are: failure to yield the right-of-way, stop sign violations, exceeding the posted speed, too fast for conditions, reckless driving, following too close and disregarding traffic signals.

In addition to aggressive driving, inattention is a common factor in motor vehicle collisions.  Inattention can lead to the same traffic violations as aggressive behaviors, such as speeding, failure to yield, failure to stop, following too close, improper lane changes, etc.

Please provide yourself with enough travel time and minimize distractions while operating motor vehicles on the roadway. Be cognizant of your driving behaviors and help our citizens to safely utilize our roadways.

The goal of this project is to reduce motor vehicle crashes, injuries and deaths caused by aggressive driving behaviors through enhanced law enforcement activities and educational outreach through our local media.

The mobilization will be conducted from October 29th, 2010 to November 14th, 2010.

DANIEL L. WEAVER                                                                      Prepared by:
            Chief of Police                                                                                    Officer Bruce Lovell