[Vision2020] Sorry!

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:32:19 PDT 2010

Sorry for calling out Republicans, asking them to condemn Bouma.
Likely some of them (Gary, for instance) didn't respond to my
challenge because they find me annoying more than anything else. And
in any event, I was wrong about Gary since, as it was pointed out,
he's been critical of Bouma and Young. Sorry about that Gary.

Thanks to Matt for at least sharing his thoughts. It was ironically
immature of me to tell him to "grow up." Sorry about that too. Matt is
a very decent man and deserves better treatment than this.
Nonetheless, it is NEVER a justification of a form of behavior to
simply note that other people do it. It drives me up the wall when
people continually appeal to this "Two Wrongs Make a Right" fallacy.
If the behavior is bad, no one should do it. And as a matter of fact
we did learn this when we were young, whenever we tried to justify our
actions by saying that someone else did it to us. Bouma should be
better than the Democrats who won't appear on Fox. If he can't be, he
looses all basis for criticizing them of their failures.

In any event, I have no horse in this race and I am more or less
ignorant of the current political issues, taking as I said a
sabbatical from politics. I'll be voting for at least one Republican
in this election and at least one Democrat for reasons I won't share.
I'll be happy to say who and why after the election. I haven't given a
reason for anyone to vote for anyone. I'm just trying to get
politicians who are running for election to answer very reasonable
questions. I'm interested in ensuring the democratic process, which
requires the dissemination of information instead of disinformation,
so that voters can make reasonable decisions. Everyone should be in
favor of this, too, since it is the only way to ensure that we elect
the best qualified people available. If we don't take action and make
these demands, we have no basis for complaint. You get what you vote
for.

And if Bouma would like to invite me to his church and have me explain
why his pastor is offensive and wrong, I'd be more than happy to do
so. I'm not afraid to speak my mind about any issue, no matter the
audience, because I know exactly why I believe the things I do.