[Vision2020] Noon whistle

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Thu Oct 21 15:37:11 PDT 2010

Carl Westberg wrote:
With my powers of
> observation, the noon whistle hasn't blown in Moscow since 1973, but I
> just now got around to realizing it.

The whistle was a feature, one I liked, quite a bit
later than 1973. Back before we had hot and cold
running wolves all over the state, before we had a
governor who would just about die to kill a wolf, I
volunteered to help the feds figure out whether there
already were wolves in central Idaho.

We did this by going out at midnight and howling and
listening for response and then driving a mile and
repeating. The first night there were a bunch of us and
it was jolly. The second night everyone but me had
discovered better things to do.

I can report that howling makes things even lonelier on
the Magruder Corridor.

What has this to do with the Moscow noon whistle?
Before my starring role down south of Elk City I found
I could practice a little while every day at noon. My
howls just blended in with those of the neighborhood dogs.

Don Coombs

Down on the Magruder I got one possible response. Not
quite a probable.