[Vision2020] Bouma Offers Reward for Info on Hoax Mailers

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 19 06:11:14 PDT 2010

"Bouma's campaign is offering a $1,000 reward for information on the
fliers, which told voters: 'You are not a true Christian and you are on
the path to hell.'"

Would one of you fine people here on the Viz please provide the mailing
address to where contributions can be made and to what the contributions
are made payable, publicly so everybody can participate,

Between Gresham Bouma's reward fund and the Latah County Political
Integrity Fund, there will be $4,000 available (by Wednesday) to be
rewarded to individual(s) providing information leading to the arrest of
the perpertrator.

Somebody knows something.  Do your community and the neighborhood a favor
. . . step forward.

Courtedsy ot KLEW at:

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/105212179.html

Bouma offers reward for info on 'hoax' mailers

October 18, 2010

MOSCOW (AP & KLEW Web Staff) — District 6 State senate candidate Gresham
Bouma denies sending out religious-leaning mailers in Latah County that
appeared to carry his endorsement and urged voters to become true
believers or be "struck down."

Bouma's campaign is offering a $1,000 reward for information on the
fliers, which told voters: "You are not a true Christian and you are on
the path to hell."

The postcard-sized mailers included a picture of Bouma and his wife.

"Those who oppose my candidacy are desperately trying to drown out my
message with innuendo, lies and personal attacks," Bouma, a Republican who
beat nine-term GOP senator Gary Schroeder in the primary and faces
Democrat Dan Schmidt in November, said in a written statement.

Bouma's campaign office fielded about 40 calls over the weekend about the
mailers. Campaign staffers went door-to-to in Moscow to ensure voters
Bouma did not send the literature.

The Latah County Sheriff's Office is investigating the mailer, which said
a vote for Bouma was not enough and urged voters to join Freeze Community
Church, which Bouma's family attends. The Idaho Secretary of State's
Office has also been notified.

Pastor Lloyd Knerr says his church has never prayed to "strike down" anyone.

"It would be laughable if it wasn't so ugly," Knerr said.

Bouma's wife, Wendy, apologized to the congregation for any trouble the
mailer may have caused at a Sunday service.

The mailer includes a return address of a group called "Friends of Bouma"
with his campaign address in Troy. The group doesn't exist, campaign
manager Paula Bauer said.

In an email sent out by the Bouma campaign, residents were asked to "use
minimal handling, place the postcard in a plastic bag and hold it as
evidence in case authorities require more samples."

The Latah County Democratic and Republican parties both condemned the
hoax, jointly declaring that their candidates "do not campaign in this
manner and that none of our candidates or campaigns had anything to do
with the card."

"We deplore the content of this card, which attempts to divide us based on
religion; it is vile enough to be considered hate speech," said David
Nelson, Chair of the Latah County Democrats and Walter Steed, Chair
of the Latah County Republicans. "This mailing does not further civil
discourse and is a distraction from the important issues of this campaign.
"We are sorry to see this attempt at distraction appear so close to the
election. We pledge that will actively encourage both the Latah Democrats
and Republicans to continue to campaign in an ethical manner, respectful
of their opponents and while focusing on the issues."

Watch the video

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/105212179.html?video=pop&t=a

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."