[Vision2020] Not all religious disputes are without humor

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Oct 18 09:27:40 PDT 2010

Not all religious disputes are without humor.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843

waf at moscow.com
208 882-7975

>From The Spokesman Review, 10-18-10, Page A3

IHOP sues church over trademark

LOS ANGELES - IHOP has served up a federal lawsuit against a church, alleging International House of Prayer is violating its trademark.

The suit asks International House of Prayer to stop using "IHOP" and similar phrases, and seeks to have the court give the Web address ihop.org to the restaurant chain.

Officials at the church, based in Kansas City, Mo., declined to comment. In a statement, church officials said they were aware of the lawsuit and were reviewing the claims.

"It is certainly not our intent to harm International House of Prayer," said International House of Pancakes spokesman Patrick Lenow. "We do think there is confusion out there. A simple Google search supports that."

In addition to protecting the trademark, Lenow said the company does not want to leave its customers with the impression that it supports a particular church or faith.

"We support freedom of religion, and we wouldn't want improper use of our name to support one faith over the others," he said.