[Vision2020] Error Corrected: Re: Health Education: A Conspiracy? A bit off the subject now though

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 16:25:06 PST 2010

Scott Anderson, conservative columnist for the M-P Daily News, studied
philosophy at WSU. You can lead them to water but you can't make them
drink -- contrary to some conservative fears about the Academy!

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:
> I stand corrected that U of I Professor Emeritus Nick Gier did not
> supervise Pastor of Moscow's Christ Church Wilson's thesis in
> Philosophy at the U of I.
>
> I should have checked on this issue before making this implication...
>
> I'm relieved that Gier did not appear angry at my false suggestion...
>
> Sorry.
>
> I try to fact check what I post publicly, but I seriously erred in this case.
>
> On 11/26/10, Gier, Nicholas <NGIER at uidaho.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Ted,
>>
>> Thanks for your post and all the others who posted on this thread. Let me
>> correct, once again (I've done this on the Vision previously), that I did
>> not direct Doug Wilson's MA thesis.  We wisely agreed that someone else
>> should be chair and that I would not even be a member of his committee.
>>
>> In light of your comments about freedom of the will, it is significant to
>> note that was Wilson's topic.  In the early days he defended free-will but
>> now that he is a "crawling-across-cut glass" Calvinist he no longer believes
>> in it.
>>
>> By the way, check out the New St. Andrews website and the first item about
>> "I'll meet you in the alley."  This is muscular Christianity in the extreme.
>>  Did they expect this to appeal to young women recruits?  I guess that the
>> message for them is that at NSA they will meet "real" Christian men.
>>
>> Ken: I'm happy to inform you that the UI philosophy department has saved
>> itself by turning to applied philosophy.  We had one of the few hires this
>> year and we are now searching for a person in environmental philosophy.
>> Sadly, both positions are not tenure-track but renewable appointments.
>>
>> Tenure is slowly disappearing at the nation's universities and our dominant
>> position in cutting edge research will be lost. Recent literature has
>> emphasized that fact that one of the reasons for U.S. dominance in the 20th
>> Century was publicly funded research at land-grant universities by tenured
>> or tenure-track professors.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Nicholas F. Gier, Professor Emeritus
>> Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho

>>> could (continue to) be augmented with environmental philosophy, and a
>>> newer
>>> look at educational philosophy.
>>>
>>> On the latter topic I wonder whether we ought not examine the plebeian
>>> assumption that personal educational responsibility to society ends when
>>> one
>>> is able to drop out of high school, and that personal efforts beyond that
>>> are
>>> optional. Perhaps a better notion is that there exists some basic minimum