[Vision2020] Our City Council and Cell Phone Stipends

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Nov 18 11:31:26 PST 2010

On November 1st the Moscow City Council “passed” the proposed cell phone
stipend for elected officials by a vote of 3 "ayes", 2 "nays", and one
abstention.

http://www.moscowcares.com/110110_08_CellPhoneStipend.htm

Normally, an agenda item such as this would not garner any public
attention.  However . . .

Unless I misinterpret Section 2-4 (Quorum), Title 2 (Administration) of
the Moscow City Code . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Sec2_4_CouncilQuorum_MCC.pdf

-----------------------------------

"Sec. 2-4. Quorum

At all meetings of the Council a majority of the full Council shall
constitute a quorum for the transaction of business; unless otherwise
provided by law, a question before the Council shall be decided by a
majority of the members present.

Ref. Idaho Code § 50-705"

-----------------------------------

Three "aye" votes does not a "majority of the members present" make.
There were six city council members present at the time of the vote.

Another item of major interest . . .

On October 25th, the Public Works and Finance Committee discussed the cell
phone stipend at length.

http://www.MoscowCares.com/PWF_102510_CellPhoneStipend.htm

phone records (to include emails generated by SmartPhone) cannot be
obtained by public records requests.

To encapsulate . . .

As the result of an unqualified  fifty-percent “aye” vote, the only access
available to the people of Moscow, concerning public-related cell phone
calls made by elected officials, is the requirement to pay for them.

Oh, and one other thing . . .

The actual amount of the stipend is never mentioned, other than there are
sufficient city funds to cover it.

Thoughts?

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown