[Vision2020] the big storm

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Nov 17 21:38:59 PST 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 08:59:27 keely emerinemix wrote:
> I hope all of you escaped the wind storm last night with little or no
> damage.  I've been here not quite nine years, and this was the worst one
> I've seen -- we may have had stronger winds before, but these lasted for
> hours.  The thunder, hail, and the sound of cracking branches was terribly
> comforting, too.  Any report on wind speeds?
>
> Keely
> www.keely-prevailingwinds.com

In this instance, the prevailing winds were from the West, WSW, and the SW.

Here's the semi-vague, hand-waving version:

It started from 0.0 mph wind at 9:46 am Monday morning, grew to a mid-day peak
gusts of 26.6 mph and a steady velocity of about 20 mph at 12:06 pm, then
tapered off over the afternoon to 0.0 mph at 6:20 pm. The wind picked up again,
though, so at 6:30 it was steadily blowing at just over 20 mph, and at 6:46 pm
it was up to 35 mph, and by 7:00 it was up to 42 mph steadily, with 50 mph
gusts. Just over an hour later it was doing 50 mph steadily. Half an hour
later it was up to 75 mph. From 8:30 or so, for the next five hours, wind gust
speeds were consistently in the 60 to 75 mph range, with a peak steady
velocity of 88 mph at 1:00 am the 16th, and peak gusts of 90 mph at 1:15 am.

The wind started to slow after that, so by 1:30 am it was down to a steady 42
mph with 70 mph gusts. By the time daylight returned, there was just a light
breeze, but lots of clean-up work to do.

Here's the technical detail for those who wish to meditate on the minutia:

http://tinyurl.com/2f7o5rd

Scroll down for the tabular data, and notice you can get previous and next day
data from the links near the top of the page.

Ken