[Vision2020] Storm

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Nov 17 20:04:32 PST 2010

Our power was out 43 hours.  It just came on at about 7:00pm this evening after going out after a nearby lightning strike at about 12:05 Tuesday morning.  About an hour later the big winds took several thousand other households out when mainlines went down.

I watched an Avista crew this evening working across the draw on Nearing Loop.  The crew personnel were running!  I am very impressed by their diligence, the long hours they just put in, and their extraordinary pace of work.  Our neighborhood is very, very grateful for the efforts of the lineperson crews.

Bigger, more powerful storms are forecast for this area in the coming months and years.  I wonder if Avista ought consider having more maintenance, system upgrading, and emergency crews, and having less marketing and PR personnel, especially considering the poor job of the latter did of keeping customers appraised of progress and estimated restoration times.  I also wonder if some rural areas with much higher than average winds and lots of big trees should be considered for stretches of underground transmission.

Thanks again to the fantastic job and response of the Avista emergency responders.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843