[Vision2020] Christians, the poor, and the economy/Art Deco

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Nov 15 14:35:28 PST 2010

Wayne Fox, in his treatise yesterday about the economy, writes in part:

"The other issue is gross religious hypocrisy.  I do not
want to tar all conservatives with the same brush.  But there is s growing
element of conservatives, some of them quasi-evangelistic, using their so-called
Christian beliefs to justify and to sell their political abilities and to
justify their political beliefs and actions.  "This is a Christian
Country"  -- whatever that means.  However, apparently many of these religious bigots have never
read, have forgotten, or choose to ignore one of the fundamental teachings of
their Christ* (who through
some unfathomable mental legerdemain is also their god): take care of
the poor and unfortunate.  We see this locally where the infamous
leader of our local cult writes absolute garbage about how Jesus was all for the
free market.  Lip action is given to god; all other actions is given to
self-satisfaction and to the satisfaction
of far-beyond-reasonable-necessity greed.  The cuts or proposed spending this pseudo-Christian group of
politicians propose generally affects the poor and unfortunate more than any
other group.  The hypocrisy is blatantly this:  thumping their Bibles
and shouting their devotion to their wonderful alleged god, they stomp on the
necks of those their alleged god urges them to take care of, first and
foremost."  (Vision 2020, Nov. 14, 2010, Wayne Fox)

Well, I agree with much that Wayne says here -- that is, Christians negate the teachings of Christ when we ignore the plight of the poor and unfortunate.  It's hypocritical, it's un-Biblical, and it's absolutely devastating to the poor and the outcast.

Interestingly, though, I agree with my atheist correspondent's point  while believing unequivocally and profoundly that, through what Wayne calls "some unfathomable mental legerdemain," Jesus Christ is, in fact, God.  I confess this cheerfully and humbly, with gratitude and devotion to the One he refers to as a "wonderfully alleged god," but who I believe to be . . . simply wonderful.

And they say POLITICS makes for strange bedfellows . . .

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com