[Vision2020] Mega-Load Update

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Nov 9 11:29:55 PST 2010

If you ever listen to/read/watch stock market news, you are familiar with how various analysts/various pundits frequently give some very short explanation of why the stock market moved it did on a certain day, for example, jittery investors, profit taking, concern about industry X or Y, concern about upcoming elections, and a whole host of quasi-technical reasons.

As we as in the country might say, "What a load of bullshit!"

If you listen to different pundits on the same day, their reasons for explaining stock movement are frequently quite different.  When the stock movement is tied to news by pundits, sometimes the stock market has made its significant moves before the news articles have appeared,  etc.

This is the problem:

The stock market and its daily transactions are very complex.  That should be obvious since very few are able to predict movement either on a short term or long term basis to make a steady, healthy profit over a period of years.  Some are relatively successful for short periods, but the last few years has seen even this number of successful investors decrease.

There are millions of transactions daily with tens of thousands or more investors making trades.  Decisions of whether to buy or to sell are made on many different bases.  Some trades are preprogrammed weeks or months in advance to occur when an individual stock reaches a certain level or there is certain movement (or lack of movement) of the stock over a certain period.  Some trade decisions are based on tax considerations, the need for cash, hunches, seductive prospectuses, etc.

How can it be known with any degree of accuracy why the market moves the way it does on any given day?  Not only are there many different reasons, but even if there could be a way of polling for the most part most investors appear to be reticent about discussing their financial affairs and the their corresponding underlying rational so the truth would be exceedingly difficult to discover.

With very few exceptions, there are many many reasons why stocks move the way they do on any given day.  It is not only extremely suspect to reduce the complex numbers of reasons to a sentence or two, but this strikes me as dishonest as well since most of the so-called market savvy pundits surely know they are spouting bullshit.

It seems to me that this is the same with the outcome of almost any election.

There are many issues and many voters.  Most of us are not single issue voters.  Most of use are not familiar in-depth on any or all the issues or how a candidate stands on all the issues.  There is certainly a wide range of understanding of the issues among the voters.  For some, issues are not an issue:  They vote on the recommendation of friends, relatives, neighbors, rumors, etc or on appearances, the graphic quality of ads, etc.  Voters vote the way the do for many and assorted reasons (or unreasons).

Fox News has an ongoing poll on whether the respondents believe our country is going in the right direction.  Generally, this poll from this group of respondents say not.  What the poll does not show is what all these different respondents really think specifically the right direction is.  There appear to be many elements of what constitutes the "right" direction.  Not only is it doubtful that there is agreement upon what all these different elements are, but what the relative importance of each element is.

In the same vein some voters are eternal, but fickle optimists:  The system is not working now, so let's try something else -- without much consideration of the rationality or evidence that the something else will work out better; more times than not, it doesn't have appeared to have done so.  So the fickle optimists change their minds again at some point.  [Sidebar:  There may not be solutions to problems that will ever please enough of the electorate with all their different values to slow this cycle.]

Since there are so many different issues and weights of importance of these issues, it appears highly probable that no one knows exactly why each voter voted the way they did.  People's opinions on various issues are in constant flux. It is same folly to ascribe monolithic reasons why any electorate as a whole voted the way they did as it is to reduce the explanation of stock market movement to a few claims.  It is like saying the Dow gained 100 points because USS Steel announced a third quarter profit.  Most investors were probably unaware of this when they made trade decisions, let alone greatly influenced by this.

So when anyone says the vote for a particular candidate shows that the people (or at least small majority of those voting) want X, where X might mean anything very specific:  this claim is very highly improbable.

Hence when the claim is made that by voting for Otter, the people have endorsed all his polices/positions, and especially the IDT and its policies and actions, this old country boy finds such a claim highly improbable (bullshit).

Especially, since the IDT has been the least popular, most criticized state agency both statewide and locally, for all of the years I've lived in Idaho, and especially in recent years where they lost bulldozers in Coeur d'Alene Lake, where a large part of the north side of recently constructed downgrade on the north side of Mica Hill collapsed in a landslide and had to be reconstructed, where they flooded tons and tons of sediment into Coeur d'Alene lake, where locally the seal coating they do doesn't even last a year in places, etc.

Hence, voting for Otter is very highly unlikely to have been an endorsement of the megaloads and the operation of the IDT.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843