[Vision2020] discharging firearms

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 6 15:20:25 PDT 2010

Concerning 'bearing arms' and the term 'bear,'
while Dictionary.com may show this definition...

"22. to have and use; exercise: to bear authority; to bear sway."

I question its application in the context of 'bearing arms' to mean to 'use'
the gun. Just use
'bear' as a substitution in a sentence and you'll see why:

"Aim high when you bear your gun". (This still refers to the posture of
holding the gun, not shooting it.).

"Don't make noise when I bear my gun at yonder rabbit." (Just doesn't make
sense.)

"Hands up, Mr., or I'll take my gun and bear it." (Also doesn't make much
sense.)

I don't think the original meaning was all that different than our sense of
it today.

Bob Dickow, troublemaker