[Vision2020] Delusions not Solely the Providence of Preachers and Politicians

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Nov 4 20:20:29 PDT 2010

The WSU football team lost 42 - 0 to ASU last weekend because they were overconfident?  Overconfident?

They have won one game this season by one point and the team they beat was not even a Division I team.

Does anyone else find this claim delusional?

Does anyone else agree that the average talent of the players appears to greatly exceed the average talent of the coaching staff?

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843

waf at moscow.com
208 882-7975

Overconfident Cougs?
MOSCOW-PULLMAN DAILY NEWS, MOSCOW, IDAHO | CHRISTIAN CAPLE | Wed, Nov 3, 9:24 AM

  a..
  b..
  c..
  d..
  e..
  f.. Tweet
  g..

Nov. 03--It seems hard to figure that a 1-8 team could suffer from the mistake of believing its own hype.

But you can add that to the list of reminders of just how young and not-yet-mature this Washington State football team still is.

Coach Paul Wulff conceded as much during his Tuesday conference call, admitting that fan and Internet message boards contributed to the expansion of his players' egos heading into last week's game against Arizona State.

The Cougars lost 42-0.

"Our players heard from every source possible that this was going to be the one," Wulff said. "Sometimes it can deter their practice habits all week. I felt that happened last week. (People thought) you're not playing a ranked team, so you should win. That's not the way it works in this conference. We're not good enough to think that way. We're going to have to play one hell of a game to win."

That they didn't was a by product of increased confidence combined with decreased execution, a flat performance that ranks as the worst the Cougars have put forth this season.

And WSU's misguided swagger was blatantly obvious to at least one seasoned participant.

"I think that's what kept us from winning the game," senior defensive end Kevin Kooyman said. "We were going into the game with a big head, kind of arrogant. We played Top-25 teams the previous three weeks and did a good job, then last week we had a good week of practice thinking we were going to go in there and just take it to them. We came out flat all the way through the game in all three phases of the game. We can't take anybody lightly.

"That game pissed me off. I was hurting after that game. I feel like everyone else was. It was silent all the way home. A game like that really smacks you in the face and makes you realize."