[Vision2020] "I Flunked"

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Nov 3 12:08:43 PDT 2010

"I Flunked"
By Orville Sharpe, Moscow High School (Class of 1914)

The shades of night were falling fast,
When from the high school lcame at last
A freshman who bore a banner green
On which these words were plainly seen,
"I Flunked."

"Oh stay," the sweet girl cried, "and rest,
Compose thy head upon this breast."
Wild longing flashed from out his eye,
But he shook his head with a mournful sigh,
"I Flunked."

"Take courage, child," the old man said,
"I can't believe that you're half bad."
But he turned his back and sped away,
And far behind they heard him say,
"I Flunked."

The night with wery hours dragged on,
Until at last appeared the dawn.
And then when folks began to stir,
A cry came through the frosty air,
"I Flunked."

At last they found him on the ground,
And close beside the faithful hound.
But 'ere his spirit took its flight
They heard the words of the previous night,
"I Flunked."

Beneath the reach of the sharp plough-share
They placed him deep with tender care,
On a stone in words of living green,
These words in the coming years were seen,
"I Flunked."

I transcribed this poem from my copy of the 1914 edition of "Wocsom", the
1914 yearbook for Moscow High School.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must browse a panoramic photo of the 1914
senior class of Moscow High School on page37 of the "Wocsom" to see if I
can find Carl . . . I know he's there.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown