[Vision2020] Sign seen in Genesee

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 2 12:14:30 PDT 2010

(Piggybacking on Joe's, but aimed toward Roger and the others who jump on "Pelosi's Food Stamp Economic Theory")

No one, least of all Nancy Pelosi, believes that permanent reliance on food stamps and unemployment constitutes solid and comprehensive economic policy.  But I think she and other liberals see that whatever legitimate threats exist from sources outside the U.S., our greatest vulnerability as a nation and a people is the obscene widening of the gap between the "have"s and the "have-not"s.  Poverty, disenfranchisement, and a stratified, ill-informed electorate not only represent enormous threats to our way of life -- and certainly to the way of life of the poor and disenfranchised -- but are fruit of unchecked, reckless, "smoke-and-mirror" markets; the hemorrhage of favor, legislation, and tax breaks to corporations; the lingering bigotry that is America's original sin as well as the newly-fanned hate and racism on the far Right; and inattention, malicious or not, to the cracks in our own house while focusing obsessively on enemies who, in the last decade, would not have been enemies if the U.S. had conducted itself with even a passing attempt to mirror the Judeo-Christian foundation so many espouse.

Debi R-S said it well yesterday when she pointed out that eight disastrous years of W can hardly be undone in two years by a President whose every legislative idea is automatically rejected by the GOP -- and, I might add, who is still hampered by the viciously inane suppositions that he's a swarthy, shadowy, foreign usurper and African anti-colonialst.  For God's sake, Roger, is it just possible that Pelosi, et al, sees that food stamps are needed because people can't feed their families?  Or does everything the Democrats do automatically incur your wrath or mockery?  You may "win" a point here and there on Vision 2020 -- or not -- but families struggling to stay in their homes and feed their kids sure as hell won't ever win in this political climate, and  haven't for a very, very long time.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com