[Vision2020] Latah County Election Summ ary and Candidate Comparison

Rob Waters robwaters74 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:03:37 PDT 2010

Sandra,

Thank you for the long, thoughtful post. I'm trying to get some other work
done tonight, but thought I should give you at least a brief reply. Given
your quote below which makes your perspective fairly clear, even if I were
Hemingway, I doubt I will make much headway.

Moderately successful people to very successful people are already taxed
between 36% and 65%.
Fed tax of 25-37%,
SS tax of 6+-13% Depending if you are self employed
State tax of 5-12%
Add disablility, unemployement taxes, etc and you get real quick to 65%
(These are resonably accurate estimates)

You may think this is not high enough, but most people will quit producing
if 2 of every 3 dollars goes to the government. Millionaire taxes in several
states have already shown this. You quickly get into diminishing returns and
not only do you begin to loose taxes from the rich, but also the people they
no longer hire. You can only wring so much blood out of the "Golden Goose"
before you kill it. It may pain you to hear this, but most people don't work
10-15 hour days to run a successful business, so they can do their civic
duty and give it to the government. People with money don't have to work.

The only people paying little or no tax are people under about 40K which is
probably 90% of the population, and I bet you don't want to tax them at all.

So that leaves BIG budget cuts...

Rob