[Vision2020] The 2008 Legislature and SB1427 - When Idaho Gave a Damn

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:49:03 PDT 2010

Wayne --

Do you understand the problem with the law now?

> Ok, bottom line, what do you think should be done about the immigration
> problems?

I can't think of anything much we can do that we aren't doing already.
Our current immigration policy is the result of 10 years of
conservative domination, and has failed to produce anything but an
increase in the number of undocumented immigrants. The current status
is pretty much the maximum level of enforcement that our Constitution
will tolerate. On the other hand, it's not the case that illegal
immigrants are a more substantial social problem than the problem of
native-born people in poverty.

> Are you in favor of open borders?

No.

> What should be done with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants?

Their status should be resolved. I don't much care how.

In general, I'd prefer stepped-up employer based enforcement.
Inspections of corporate employers, heavy fines, potential criminal
sanctions, while the undocumented workers are quietly shown the door.
I do, however, think there should be general amnesty for any illegal
immigrant children that spend five years in the country graduate high
school. They didn't do anything illegal; their parents did. They
shouldn't be forced to leave their home merely because of an accident
of birth.

-- ACS