[Vision2020] Say What??????

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Mar 31 10:42:44 PDT 2010

I'm disgusted by Parks' crime.  I'm disgusted by the cavalier attitude demonstrated in 2006 in regard to his first adjudication for domestic violence against his wife.  And I'm disgusted by the reality of his sentence, although I recognize that the intricacies of the justice system often, and lamentably, grind toward plea bargains.  Even though his guilty plea came only because of the sentencing break he was offered, I'm glad that he's on record as having acknowledged his guilt.

What troubles me most about this is not only, or even primarily, the sentence received.  I'm sickened, frankly, that Parks and his wife could be part of a local church whose pastor and congregants were aware of the abuse she suffered and evidently -- EVIDENTLY -- didn't come down hard on him.  An acquaintance of mine who knows Silas Parks says that "everyone" knew that they had "domestic violence issues," and I understand he was in counseling with a pastor -- I don't know if it was the pastor of the church he attended -- once his history of violence became clear.  Now, maybe the pastor and Silas' brethren in the faith came down hard on him.  Maybe they strongly and angrily shook him by the shoulders and told him that he had a problem -- that he was committing sinful acts of evil, of violence, of horror absolutely inexcusable for a Christian man or anyone else.  And maybe they made it clear that there's NEVER an excuse for a husband to beat his wife, and that NOTHING the woman does EVER justifies violence.  Maybe their commitment to protecting Sarah was such that the men of the church, Silas' brethren, stormed the house and moved him out so that she could be safe.

Maybe.

But given the lamentable record of the evangelical church in acknowledging, much less condemning, violence in the home, I have my doubts.  I've been in churches where abuse was considered "a family issue," and where the brave, strong men in the congregation cowered at the idea of confronting a brother who mistreats his wife.  I know women who've been told to examine their behavior to see what they're doing to provoke an attack, and I've heard too many stories of women who've been told to just pray about it and submit -- even in the face of violence.

That it might be reasonable to conclude that Silas Parks did not receive the benefit of strong pastoral/congregational rebuke, with the expectation that he be removed from the home until, and after many months, it's clear that he's no longer an abuser, is to me a real horror that deserves as much examination and lament as his eventual adjudication.  The county's judicial system clearly deserves the disdain directed at it, but the religious community Parks was a part of deserves, in my opinion, even more -- unless it can be demonstrated that his church made Parks' life absolutely miserable because of his evil actions against his wife.  On this one, I'd love to be wrong.  And I pray that I am.  But the church and its pastor is where I would look for answers here.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com