[Vision2020] Racist Fliers Distributed in Southern Idaho

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Mar 20 19:51:31 PDT 2010

This particular, specific, singular group of three or four people named "Mullet" may well die out at some point.

I hope that's due to conversion, not death, but evil and anger have a way of ushering in rage and violence, which is deadly to the object and deadly to the hater.  But the Mullets, et al, will spawn new believers who will be as ignorant, dishonest and possibly willing to engage in violence as those "Aryan men" who first kindled the fire in them.  They will join with other racist groups -- people who maybe have never heard of the Mullets -- and recruit and influence others, who will spew their venom with words and possibly, if not probably, with actual violence or threats of violence to back them up.

Likely?  Absolutely.  The contentions of the racist right wither quickly under the light of reason and shrivel under the lens of the Scriptures they appeal to.  Racist movements don't draw from the most stable, nurtured, and educated populations; they draw, instead, from people who think they remember better days, better days for themselves or for their forebears, sense a loss of power, and blame with unfettered hatred those around them with skin colors they don't possess, languages only newly heard, last names they don't like, or religious faiths they find scary.  They see the world in ways unsupportable by history, the experience of the majority, any recognized religious faith's teachings, or by a reasoned analysis of culture.  They're angry, scared, quite often today poor, and not well educated.  A Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or Lou Dobbs can set them off easily -- there's no need for a couple of North Idaho brothers named Mullet to do the job.

I grew up in an activist, racism-fighting household; if my memory extends back to when I was 6, then I have 43 years during which I don't recall one racist or racist group committed to and demonstrating principles of nonviolence and peaceful engagement.   Why bother, if you either view "the other" as less than human, your own property, your inferior, or a threat?

Racism "dying out"?  No.

Witness the rise in hate groups since 2008 as tracked by the SPLC -- and the FBI.  Witness the angry blather from some on the radical right -- those who insist that the U.S.' first Black President must be a Muslim terrorist, or who joke that zoos have African Lions and America has a Lyin' African.  Not "racist enough" for you?  Fine.  How about the continued fear that young Black men have when pulled over by cops, especially below the Mason-Dixon line?  Disparities in drug sentencing between blacks and whites?  Or in the death penalty?  How about gangs of Anglo youth going out on "Wetback Patrols" or "Alien Hunting"?  The armed Militiamen "guarding the border" in Southern Arizona?  Immigration department harassment of Latinos in Washington State?  The deplorable conditions of ag-labor camps around the country?  The inequalities between schools that serve a high percentage of non-white students and schools that have mostly Anglo students?

And yeah -- any harassment of white people, if based solely on the fact that they're white people.

Sorry, Paul.  I know you're a good man, but on this one, I'm afraid you're very much mistaken.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com