[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter X--March 12-19, 2010

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Sat Mar 20 15:55:22 PDT 2010

There is also the problem of a "pole tax " and the US Constitution:

"The 24th Amendment, ratified in 1964, outlawed the use of the poll
tax (or any other tax) as a pre-condition in voting in Federal
elections. The 1966 Supreme Court case Harper v. Virginia Board of
Elections extended this explicit enactment as a matter of judicial
interpretation of a more general provision, ruling that the imposition
of a poll tax in state elections violated the Equal Protection Clause
of the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Harper
ruling was one of several that rely on the Equal Protection Clause of
the 14th Amendment rather than the more direct provision of the 15th
Amendment. In a two-month period in the spring of 1966, the last four
states to still charge a poll tax laws had those laws declared
unconstitutional by Federal courts, starting with Texas on 9 February.
Decisions followed for Alabama (3 March) and Virginia (25 March).
Mississippi's $2.00 poll tax was the last to fall, declared
unconstitutional on 8 April 1966, by a Federal panel in Jackson, Miss."

Now, it's not a far stretch going from a pole tax to a mandatory photo
ID that you "buy" from the state in order to vote, so I'm sure that
this would lead to a constitutional lawsuit.
I have no problems with a photo ID IF it's provided at no cost to the
voter.

The first election I was able to vote in was back home in
Pennsylvania, and there, when you registered to vote, you got a voter
registration card.