[Vision2020] Another good argument for the death penalty

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Mar 15 20:22:27 PDT 2010

Here's why arguments like we are engaged in cannot be resolved given our current state of knowledge:

Ethical principles are not completely amenable to resolution by evidence or testing.  If they were, we wouldn't have such a wide diversity of opinion on ethical matters held by decent, reasonable people.  It's not like establishing Ohm's law or the Theory of Conditioned Reflexes.  Facts count, but even when people agree on the facts, they may not agree on an underlying ethical principle.

It appears you are arguing for the principle that capital is never justified, or equivalently there is not a single case where capital punishment is justified.

How would you empirically establish the truth of such a broad statement?  What observations would render the probability of such a statement being 1.00?

The best we can do in our current state of knowledge (the absence of an agreed method to establish ethical principles without doubt) is to attempt to persuade others by citing facts or other ethical principles which they may agree upon.

In order to refute the statement "There is not a single case where capital punishment is justified." only a single case need be shown.

I offered Joseph E. Duncan III as a counter-example (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_E._Duncan_III)

"Joseph Edward Duncan (born February 25, 1963) is an American convicted serial killer and sex offender who received national attention after being arrested in connection with the kidnapping of Shasta Groene,[1] aged 8, and her brother Dylan,[2] 9, and being featured on America's Most Wanted.[3] He pled guilty in December 2007 to 10 federal counts involving the kidnapping and torture of the children and the murder of Dylan at a remote campsite west of the Rocky Mountain Front, and was sentenced to death under federal laws for kidnapping resulting in death (he had already pleaded guilty in state court) on August 27, 2008. As of October 27, 2009, Duncan was being tried in Riverside County, California for the 1997 murder of Anthony Michael Martinez."

There is a lot more, a horrifyingly graphic, sickening more.

I could have also cited a number of confessed serial murderers or used those old favorites Hitler and Saddam Hussein.

Given your belief in the statement "There is not a single case where capital punishment is justified." such counterexamples would not be persuasive to you.  You would still hold the above ethical principle to be true despite the lack of a method to demonstrate it's truth.  However, some people might be persuaded that Duncan should be executed and make his case an exception to their general opposition to capital punishment.  In fact, I know of at least one such person.

Until there is a method to establish the truth of general ethical principles differences of opinion like ours are not likely to be resolved.  We may persuade each other about certain cases or classes of cases (like those where guilt is questionable), but in general we have no way to come to agreement like we might if we were arguing about the cause of diabetes or whether syphilis is caused by urinating in the moonlight.

W.