[Vision2020] Amendment to State Constitution - SRJ 101

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Mon Mar 15 13:34:09 PDT 2010

Tom,

It's actually very simple.

1) The University of Idaho, baring a change to the State Constitution,
cannot charge tuition, but they want to be like all of the other state
schools and charge tuition.
2) The State of Idaho has passed a state law, Title 65 giving
veterans  hiring preference.
3) The University of Idaho, because of it's unusual constitutionality
refuses to comply with Title 65, yet wants to be "equal" with the
other 4 year school that MUST comply with Title 65.

Conclusion, IF the University of Idaho wants to be like all of the
other 4 year schools and charge tuition, which currently the State
Constitution says they can't,
then they need to comply with all of the other state laws or retain
it's special immune status.  Can't have it both ways.  Either be
"special" via the state constitution or be like the others and
comply with state law.

Does that make sense to you?