[Vision2020] Idaho Shame: Private Contractors, ICC, and CCA

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Sat Mar 13 11:56:32 PST 2010

Saundra,

One of the critical issues we, as a society have to get our heads
around is that the "punishment" is being sent to prison, not to go to
a prison FOR punishment.
But, why should we?  We, collectively as a society don't care about
prisoners, if we did, the conditions in OUR prisons would not be what
they are today.

And as Orwell said, all pigs are created equal, some are more equal
than others. A prisoner is a prisoner is a prisoner. BUT, we send some
to country club prisons,
others we conduct extraordinary rendition with and send to countries
at our own behest to be tortured, that is if we haven't tortured them
ourselves.  So, can it really be
a shock that prison abuse occurs in Idaho too?

And then we get to who is responsible and who should be brought before
the courts to explain and defend their actions that allowed this to
happen.  The governor is
the head of the executive branch of government, which happens to be
responsible for the prisons and condition of prisons that Idaho
prisoners are sent to.
Do you really think that Butch is willing to stand up and defend his
actions and the actions of those under him for the treatment of
prisoners?  Hell, we had a president that
lied about torture, authorized torture and  what are the
consequences?  NOTHING. And now we don't even trust our our justice
system to finally give these people proper
federal trials. With those put in power, it seems to always be someone
else's fault. And in a way, it is, it's our fault.

It all boils down to one thing, responsibility, OURS, and that can
only be corrected at the ballot box, and not just at the national and
state level, but also the local level.
IF you don't like the state of our local justice system, remember that
on voting day! IF you don't like the direction and management of the
University of Idaho, remember that
when the members of the Board of Regents come up for LOCAL elections.
If you don't like what's happening in Boise, remember that on election
day.

Vote accordingly.