[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter IX - March 6-12, 2010

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Mar 13 10:52:43 PST 2010

	->
LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER IX--MARCH
6-12/2010

Constituents:

The Ides of March and the
Legislature are well upon us. We understand the predicted date for
Sine Die is March 26th which is approaching April Fools Day. Here are
some of the highlights of the week.

1. Budget  &ndash;  JFAC
has finished all except one of the budgets so we will be voting on these
bills next week.  Idaho Public TV's budget was reduced but not as much as
the Governor had recommended, and nothing in the bill mentions totally
cutting out IPTV funding during the next three years. JFAC also wrote a
letter to Director Armstrong of Health and Welfare to fund the Cystic
Fibrosis Program. Basically not funding the program would mean a death
sentence to those funded under the program. We still need to have the
funding with intent language. As we make votes on some of these types of
program, we should remember that three thousand years ago, the old
testament prophets proclaimed that the virtue of a society is measured by
how it treats it most vunerable members.

2. Taxes  &ndash;
While no tax increases will be passed this session, it is at least
reassuring to hear more debate about the issue. I certain would have
supported increasing funding for more tax auditors to collect unpaid
taxes, postponing the funding of the consolidated elections ($4.2
million), dalaying the reduction of the premium insurance tax ($7.0
million), and implementing the grocery tax credit for only very low income
earners.  All of these initiatives would have realized about $35 million
more for the budget.

The Senate passed a bill calling for an
examination of all of the sales tax exemptions. Sen. Schroeder and I had
submitted a similar piece of legislation to the House Rev and Tax
Committee.  Chairman Dennis Lake of the House Rev and Tax Committee said
no such legislation would move ahead this session.  Idaho is estimated to
be losing up to $80 million in lost internet sales tax a year. As more and
more business is conducted through e-commerce many lawmakers have concerns
about being far to brick and mortar stores as well about the State's
shrinking tax base. That's why some lawmakers want Idaho to join a
multistate coalition that is studying how to collect sales tax on internet
purchases. The bill was voted on favorably to print on a 10-8 vote.

3. Lawmakers hope changes to the Idaho fund that pays medical
bills of the indigent will prevent taxpayers from covering ill advised,
costly procedures like weight loss surgery. Budget writers set a $18
million Idaho Catastrophic Heath Care Fund budget for FY11. This is less
that the $34 million the fund got this year.

4. Political
Checkoffs A Thing of The Past.--the Governor signed into a law a bill that
ends a political checkoff for parties on Idaho income tax forms. Since it
was enacted in 1976 the voluntary checkoff has shifted $1.6 million from
the State general fund to political parties.

5. Funding
Proposal for State Parks Fails &ndash; Sen Schroeder and I with support
from the Governor's Office presented a piece of legislation calling for a
citizen's advisory vote on the November ballot with the question,
"Would you support the Idaho State Tax Commission to credit $5 from
each tax return filed each year and monies being placed in a Idaho States
Park Dedicated Fund?"  The proposal could have raised about $3
million/year for our State Parks System. The RS was defeated in the House
State Affairs Committee.

6. No More Texting While Driving
&ndash;  The Senate on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a ban on
motorists' texting while driving. No more reading, composing or sending e
mails, text messages, status updates on Facebook/Twitter/etc. For
motorists may become law; however, the bill still has to go through House
Transportation.  It was pointed out that law enforcement may have a hard
time enforcing the bill if it becomes law.

There will be more
highlights this coming week as we rush to wind up a very hectic session. I
always appreciate hearing from you. My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone
(208) 332-1184.

Rep. Tom Trail