[Vision2020] legislative report

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Thu Mar 4 20:37:32 PST 2010

>From the Argonaut 7/21/09:
"The total budget for the project {the second phase} so far has been $14 million: $2 million for planning and design, a $10 million construction bond, and an additional $2 million provided by the Idaho Permanent Building Fund."
It doesn't mention private donations.
>From Pullman Radion News:
"the Board of Regents authorized UI to issue $23 million in bonds to replace the East wall of the dome with the same semi-translucent material as the west wall {the third phase}... The Board of Regents also approved a plan to use about $600 thousand in private funding for designing several game day improvements."
>From the Idaho Statesman 7/01/09:
"The price tag for the second phase is $8 million and athletic director Rob Spear said the fundraising efforts are at about 50 percent."
>From a blogger on that article:
"So if the University of Idaho continues to average a paid attendance of 4,000 fans per game, at an average price of $40 per ticket, it will take them 62.5 years to pay off the $10 million debt. That is, if the note is bearing zero interest."

The UI bit off more than it can chew with the Kibby Dome.
Taxpayers are now stuck with the bill to at least pay millions of dollars for some of the upkeep of this money pit.
The UI should have sold it to Pigouts when they had the chance:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2009-April/062608.html

Garrett Clevenger