[Vision2020] UI to Furlough Employees

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Mar 4 14:49:05 PST 2010

Ah, yes.

Bay all means, eliminate tenure.  That should attract alot of faculty
applications.

I can just about hear the advertisement now . . .

"Come work at the University of Idaho, where job security is more than a
dream . . . it's a fantasy!"

Perhaps the University of Idaho should also change its alma mater from . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

To . . .

--------------------------------

FOR UI STAFF AND FACULTY  . . .

"Your Last Payday"
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/Last_Payday.mp3

"That line about luck just can't be bought
You're always lucky 'til you get caught
Trouble will find you, no need to look
And luck won't help when they close the book

I know a lot of young fellas in here
Especially those on the highest tier
Still want to believe
That santa comes in a sleigh
They're right about the long white beard
But wrong about christmas eve
What's christmas, when it's your last payday"

---------

FOR STUDENTS . . .

"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden"
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/Rose_Garden.mp3

"I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden.
Along with the sunshine,
There's gotta be a little rain sometimes.

When you take, you gotta give, so live and let live,
Or let go.
I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden."

--------------------------------

As a sidebar of interest:  As a student at UI, I sat on (and was a voting
member of), Dr. David VanOver's (Management Information Systems) tenure
committee.

Yes.  Students are selected to be voting members on tenure committees at
the rate of two students per committee.

Dr VanOver was an excellent professor and I was extremely fortunate to
have him for a few classes.

However, ever since UI's problems developed a cancer, Dr. VanOver moved on
to the University of Texas where upper management actually gives a sh*t
about faculty retention.

UI '96

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown