[Vision2020] UI to Furlough Employees

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 13:44:15 PST 2010

I believe tenure was put into place to protect college professors from getting fired for political reasons. For this I agree that professors should not be fired because college is about exploring new, and often controversial topics and subjects, and many professors are controversial when they get passionate about their subjects.

However, I don't believe in tenure anymore because it is widely abused, unfortunately. A good teacher doesn't need tenure because they are good and there are enough good Universities out there wanting to keep and attract good teachers and students that want them as instructors. Bad teacheers drive away students and with it University funding.

There may be policies in place to remove a tenured faculty member, however, they are more likely to be struck down by lightening on a clear blue sunny day than be removed from teaching by this process.

Eliminating tenure would clear out bad instructors with high salaries so we could hire better instructors for the students.

Your Friend,

Donovan Arnold