[Vision2020] Sentence Appropriate?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 17:35:15 PDT 2010

I don't know what to think about this.  If "enticing a child" means that
he was setting up a time and place to have sex with a person he thought
was 13, then I'm glad they caught him.  But there is an interesting
twist to this, though.  What he was charged with doesn't sound like it
would be a crime if there was no minor involved.  Since there wasn't an
actual minor involved, then this means that they are charging him for
thinking that there was a 13-year old on the other end of the wire.  Did
they just cross over into thought crime territory?  I don't know.  Did
he really believe she was 13?  People lie about their age and gender
online all the time.  What if he thought he or she was someone
pretending to be 13 and that thought excited him?  Does "enticing a
child" cover other aspects that don't involve actual meetings for sex?
In other words, were they just "talking dirty" to each other?

Anyway, I just thought that was an interesting aspect of this case.  You
guys can go back to bashing Judge Stegner now.

Paul