[Vision2020] NSIDC: 2010 Arctic Sea Ice Decline Highest for Month of May During Satellite Record.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 09:31:07 PDT 2010

Ron Force wrote:
> The scientific article itself was less assured than the press report:
> http://epic.awi.de/Publications/Haa2010b.pdf
>
> "However, the volume of older ice may have been less overall due
> to a lower areal coverage, and because our surveys were still
> spatially limited"

The article from Canada.com was describing why the lead author (Haas) of
that paper doesn't buy the prediction of a record melt this year.  He
bases his opinion on data he gathered for his paper that shows that the
current level of ice is "in some ways in better shape going into the
melt season than it has been for a couple of years".

> As others point out, one year does not make a trend;
> http://www.skepticalscience.com/Has-Arctic-sea-ice-returned-to-normal.html

A quote from that web page:

"A better metric for the total amount of sea ice is, well, the actual
total amount of sea ice, measured by sea ice volume. Satellite radar
altimetry (Giles 2008
<http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2008/2008GL035710.shtml>) and
satellite laser altimetry (Kwok 2009
<http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2009/2009JC005312.shtml>) find that
Arctic sea ice has been thinning, even in 2008 and 2009 when sea ice
extent showed a slight recovery from the 2007 minimum."

Haas et al are apparently working on a detailed analysis of satellite
altimetry measurements, based on their data, as stated in the
introduction to their paper.  They also stated in their conclusions
section that "it seems that consequences of strong melt and ice export
during and after the summer record minimum 2007 may have been
compensated for by weather patterns in 2008 that were not conducive to
high melt and ice dispersal in summer and may have fostered enhanced
thermodynamic ice growth during a colder winter 2008/09 with less snow
accumulation".  Given Haas' comments that were quoted in the newspaper
article, I suspect we're going to find out that the satellite
observations were fooled by the drop in snow level into thinking that
the ice level had dropped.  Since their probe measures both snow depth
and ice depth, he would presumably have better data.  I guess we'll have
to wait for their paper to be published to find out for sure.

It's true that one year does not make a trend.  Haas states in the
canada.com article that "the more likely scenario is that the ice will
continue a decline that has been underway for at least 30 years."  I see
no reason not to believe that.  My main reason for responding to Ted was
based on his comment that skeptics will have to beef up their
confirmation bias filters to not believe that sea ice will fall below
2007 levels.  I wanted to point out that those kinds of conclusions are
not as set in stone as he thinks.  There is room for skepticism that
does not involve confirmation bias filters.

I'd also like to applaud Haas' team for actually getting out over the
ice and taking more precise measurements.  With all the money that has
gone into computer modeling and with all the monetary repercussions that
might follow attempts by the government to reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, I'm glad some groups are deciding to spend more money on
direct observations and data gathering.  Now if we could only get the
world to fund some more thermometers around the globe rather than
reducing them drastically as they did around 2005-2006, from close to
1500 down to around 200 or so.

Paul