[Vision2020] Parks Sentencing

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Jun 9 19:40:13 PDT 2010

The only "diminished capacity" I could possibly see here is Parks' abysmal reservoir of love, empathy, patience and honesty, as well as what appears to be, from comments made to me and to others, the diminished capacity of those around him to fully understand the depth and significance of the horror he unleashed upon his wife and her child.  While both make me sick, they are not sicknesses, and in no way mitigate the circumstances under which he choked the life out of a human being five months pregnant with his own child.

It seems pretty evident that Parks suffers from a gross and profound severity of rage, for which there may or may not be an underlying organic or psychological cause.  But until every man so affected starts randomly strangling co-workers who annoy him, cops who harass him, buddies who piss him off, mothers-in-law who embarrass him, neighbors whose dogs knock over garbage, and Rosauer's checkers who mistakenly ring up his rib-eye, I'll be reminded that some very angry, very evil men seem more than able to control themselves around everyone else -- and then plead that they "lose it" around their wives, girlfriends, prostitutes, or other women.

That's a very selective kind of "losing it" that suggests to me that a hatred of women, coupled with an understanding that crimes against them tend to continue unabated and unchecked for longer than crimes against others, is really at the heart of Parks' problems.  And the fact that it is a "heart" problem in no way argues against the need to keep him locked away for as long as possible.  I hope he gets treatment, I hope he realizes some healing, and I intend to pray for his salvation, but I hope to God -- literally -- he never is in a position to hurt another woman again, ever.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com