[Vision2020] To HECK with the Current Moscow City Council . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 9 05:52:41 PDT 2010

"I have an unemployed, laid-off daughter that, when the unemployment
insurance runs out, I would very much hope I raised her to take a job and
find something better than nothing.

I remember, and I think I mentioned this at council before.  We've all heard
how Walmart doesn't pay anything.  One bitter day this spring I was out
buying fertilizer or something at Walmart here in Moscow.  There wasa a
young man fighting the wind, fighting the cold, to load fertilizer or
something in my car.  And I said something to him about, 'This is a terrible
job, isn't it?'  He said, 'No, it isn't. I'm glad to have it.'  I don't know
whether he was being paid forty dollars an hour or $7.25. I didn't ask him.
But the conditions were not conducive for me wanting to be out there.  But
he was very thrilled to have a job."

- Council Member Walter Steed (July 6, 2010)

http://www.TomandRodna.com/Steed_Wages_070610.mp3

Granted, Mr. Steed, there is a very thin gray line between "minimum wage"
and "living wage".  However, the difference is far more pronounced between
"living wage" and "slave labor".

Seeya round town, Moscow

"No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to
its workers has any right to continue in this country."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt.