[Vision2020] To HECK with the Current Moscow City Council . . .

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 9 00:16:47 PDT 2010

Mr. Steed,

What a pleasure to see an email from you from an official City account!  I
trust that the significant financial cost to the taxpayers from your
arrogance about and blatant disregard of Idaho Public Records law has since
been emphasized to you.  With respect to the previous (somewhat epic) Public
Records request regarding your behind-the-scenes maneuvers to sell our water
across the state line, my understanding is that you failed to disclose all
of our correspondence on the water issue.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you
about the disastrous financial consequences your lapses could have had for
the City.  Personally, I've continued to wonder what other correspondence
you failed to disclose as required by Public Records law.  Certainly, the
fact that you failed to comply with Idaho Public Records Law is a sorry
stain on whatever integrity you hoped to sell to the good people of Moscow.

With respect to the current matter at hand, it's a pity you went with an old
quote rather than with more current thinking and studies (i.e., in this
century), but regardless, I'm quite surprised you don't understand the
distinction between minimum wage and living wage.  Frankly, I find it hard
to believe the difference truly escapes you, so I wonder if you were hoping
your smoke and mirrors would fool people  Apparently, you were successful at
bamboozling a shocking number of your fellow Council members, which is quite
disappointing . . . although perhaps not surprising.  One would hope your
fellow Council members will have learned a valuable lesson from your . . .
disingenuousness on this topic and won't be taken in by your misinformation
in the future.  Of course, one would have thought they'd have learned the
lesson from your water shenanigans, but what's that saying?  Oh, yes:  fool
me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I'll also add that I'm disappointed - although not surprised - to learn that
you are the kind of mean-spirited and heartless ideologue who marches
blindly to outdated and dishonest partisanship yet can sleep at night
knowing that your actions will be responsible for some good hardworking
people no longer being able to pay for their health insurance and car
repairs, or for their children's summer enrichment activities and
back-to-school supplies, or for their retired elderly parents' prescription
medications and the helpers that allow them to continue to live in their own
homes.

Given that you don't think a living wage is important to potential City
employees and for the employees of those doing business with the City, and
given these tough economic times, when can we look for you to put forth a
resolution that will cut the salaries of Council members by the same
percentage as is the result of your vote rescinding the Living Wage
Resolution?  Inquiring minds deserve to know.  It's a no-brainer, of course,
that should you fail to do so, no amount of your smoke and mirrors will hide
your hypocrisy.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that word on the street is that this rescission
was to curry favor with certain contractors who have bristled at the
requirement that they pay a living wage if they want to do business with the
City of Moscow.  I certainly hope that with the rescission of the Living
Wage resolution, contract information will be readily available on the
City's Web site for all to see.  Otherwise, it's probably reasonable to
assume that I'm not the only one outraged by your mean-spirited and
completely partisan actions, and that Public Information Requests will be
forthcoming for quite a long time.

I'll just ask the question:  what provisions have been made to make contract
information easily available . . . to see the light of day . . . in the
darkness of the rescission of the Living Wage Resolution?

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

Compassion is the basis of all morality.

~ Arthur Schopenhuaer