[Vision2020] reviewing sales tax exemptions

JLBrown jlbrown at turbonet.com
Fri Jan 29 15:07:17 PST 2010

Visionaries,

Reps. Wendy Jaquet (D-Ketchum) and Grant Burgoyne (D-Boise) have a bill,
which has been printed, to review all sales tax exemptions every 8 or fewer
years and close those that are not justified.  This bill is in the House Rev
and Tax committee and it is very uncertain whether Rep. Dennis Lake, the
chairman, will give it a hearing.

The bill, HB 396, can be read at
www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/H0396.htm.  I like the bill's
inclusion of criteria for judging the worthiness of exemptions.

I strongly support reviewing exemptions.  However, I also think it is
important to recognize that doing so will not resolve our current budget
crisis.  With an 8-year cycle, or even a 5- or 3-year cycle, it will take
some time for any significant change to occur.  For the current mess, we
need a short-term fix right now, not a few years from now.

If you feel strongly about this bill or about the concept of reviewing
exemptions, and would like it to have a public hearing, please let Chairman
Lake know at dlake at house.Idaho.gov.

Judy