[Vision2020] The Next Amendment

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 20:46:50 PST 2010

Humor: Corporations gain a new weapon
First it was political spending. And now the right to bear arms? The Supreme Court can't do enough for big business.
By Steve Clifford
January 25, 2010.
Overturning multiple precedents, yesterday the Supreme
Court ruled that corporations have “the right to bear arms and form
militias.”
The 5-to-4 decision followed last week’s decision in Citizens United
v. Federal Election Commission that the First Amendment applies to
corporations, and therefore the government cannot limit their political
spending.
Writing for the majority Chief Justice Roberts opined, “If the first
amendment applies to corporations, surely the second amendment also
applies. Since corporations have no history of abusing their power, we
expect that they will employ their private armies with restraint and
discretion.”
The majority held that the decision validated the founding fathers’
basic principle: that neither the government, nor the people, has the
right to restrain corporations. “This was their original intent, and if
it wasn’t, it should have been,” Roberts continued.
In his opening statement during his nomination hearings Roberts
stated, “I have no agenda…My job is to call balls and strikes and not to pitch or bat.”  He claimed that his job had not changed. “My job is
still to call balls and strikes. However, I have decided to give
corporations 86 strikes rather than three.”
In a concurring opinion Justice Thomas wrote, “I don’t remember much, but I always vote with my friends — Scalia, Alito, Roberts, and
Kennedy. We Catholics need to stick together.”
In a blistering dissent Justice Stevens labeled the decision irrelevant to the case at hand, Clifford v. Seattle. “Clifford appealed a parking ticket on the grounds that the meter maid was overeducated. It
had nothing to do with second amendment rights.”  For the majority
Justice Scalia retorted, “Buzz off, Johnny. We’ve got five votes and we
will be here for decades. Deal with it.”
It is not immediately clear how corporations will use their new
powers. CEO Rex Tillerson promised that Exxon Mobil military forces
would be used “only to counter terrorist threats against Exxon's pricing flexibility, Exxon's offshore drilling, and Exxon silencing of global
warming alarmists.” CEO Lloyd Blankfein signaled that Goldman Sachs
would outsource all military operations to Blackwater. “The average
Goldman employee earned $498,000 in 2009. That is far too much for an
ordinary soldier who risks only death.”
Next week the court is expected to hold that audits of corporations
by the IRS, SEC, and other regulatory agencies constitute unreasonable
search and seizure and are banned by the third amendment.

Steve Clifford writes humor for Crosscut. In his unhumorous life,
he was CEO of King Broadcasting and once played a role in saving New
York City from bankruptcy.
View this story online at: http://crosscut.com/2010/01/25/flip-side/19536/
© 2010 Crosscut Public Media. All rights reserved.