[Vision2020] Today is Caturday, So Naturally . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jan 16 10:45:43 PST 2010

Courtesy of KOMO (Seattle, Washington) News at:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/81611402.html

Champion climber helps avert cat-astrophe
by KOMO Staff

SPOKANE, Wash. -- You could hear the screeches before you saw him perched
high on a ledge above a trail.

The unlucky kitten was stuck, unable to make its way down. He was out of
easy reach, perhaps only accessible to rescuers or a champion climber.

But then came along Kay Leclaire.

"We were running from the Spokane Club, and we could hear this poor little
kitten crying," she said.

Leclaire looked up and there he was -- a tiny kitten on a tiny ledge,
practically begging for help.

"I'm sure it was terrified and obviously had no way to get down," said
Leclaire.

And that's when the unlucky kitten's luck turned. Leclaire is a
world-renowned climber.

"We went home, got my climbing equipment and decided to rescue the little
kitten," she said.

At 60, Leclaire became the oldest woman to climb the highest peaks on all
seven continents. And last May, she became the second oldest American
woman to summit Mount Everest.

For the old pro, climbing the old railroad abutment to rescue the kitten
was hardly intimidating.

With a harness and ropes in place, she repelled over the side of the
abutment to the very anxious cat below.

"He was ready to be rescued, that's for sure," Leclaire said.

As animal control officers looked on, the veteran climber grabbed the
critter and handed him off to others waiting at the top.

Despite her years of experience, the rescue turned out to be more
challenging than Leclaire expected.

"I didn't put enough coils around the part that goes to my feet, so the
rope was slipping," she said.

Still, the ending was a happy one with both Leclaire and the kitten safe
on the ground, where they formally met.

"Hey there," Leclaire said. "Aw, you're shaking, my goodness."

As for the kitten, he's already begun his new life. After his rescue, he
was given a clean bill of health, named "Sky" and adopted within hours.

--------------

The kitten

http://media.komonews.com/images/100114_kitten_stuck.jpg

--------------

Picture depicting where the kitten was stuck.

http://images.bimedia.net/images/100114_kitten_stuck_sm.jpg

LeClaire handing the kitten to friends at the top of the building.

http://images.bimedia.net/images/100114_kitten_stuck_lg.jpg

LeClaire and the kitten.

http://images.bimedia.net/images/100114_kitten_stuck_lg2.jpg

Seeya round town, Moscow.